Author Topic: Faithful Lil Joe Bradley  (Read 1625 times)

lindyb01

• I love and miss you all...you all will forever be in my heart
  • Pet Pawrent
  • Hello I'm Frisbee Bradley aka Goobie's Mom
Faithful Lil Joe Bradley
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:36:28 AM »
This is in remerence to Lil Joe Bradley who crossed over to Rainbow Bridge 3 very sad years ago....

I`ll start at the beginning when God put Lil Joey into my life....

My Husband Dave was given an older Arabian Gelding to learn how to ride on by his Cousin...Riz was a great calm horse for him to learn on...since he was learning to ride horses I decided that I would take horseback riding again. I have had horses & ponys since I was young and had a paticular type of horse in mind it would be a Bay Gelding Quarter horse...I looked & looked but could find such a horse at a reasonable price.

I looked for a year..

I found a horse that was a Bay Gelding and I thought it was a safe horse but he was very mean and lived his name of Apache. The people I bought him from druged him so he was mellow when I road him. I ended up giving the horse to a gal we knew that trained cutting horses and knew horses and she said he was dangerous and he got given to another horse person & I believe he was destroyed. That was sad but he had a broken wither and couldn`t be riden..

The gal I took him to started looking for a horse for me..time went on and she called to let us know she had a horse for me to look at. We drove to her ranch and when we got out of the truck there she was with this beautiful Brown and White Orvoleo Paint. She and he were just stand there while he munched on grass. She said he was not druged and was r5eally calm and gentle. I fell in love with him but we couldn`t afford the $3500 they wanted or him. She gave him back to the man that had him on a ranch with other horses. Later that day I sweet talked my husband into buying this horse but he was gone from the gals ranch. She called the man that had him and he said he would take lessor for him.

The next thing you knew we were on our way to this man`s ranch to see if he still had the horse. When we got there there in the field he stood. We paid for him and away we went with the trailer. Along the freeway we decided to stop and check him. He had gotten the lead rope under his foot and was stuck he didn`t freak out or even make a noise. When we got home we took him to stable him while we went on vacation for two weeks.

When we got back we took a trail ride and he was so giving and gentle walked real fast and never skipped a beat. Ride after ride he never changed still the same wonderful personality.

In the next few years he and I continued to be best buddys when I was upset I knew I could go to the barn and talk to him and he`d listen to every word. When I cried he would put his head in my arms and snuggle close to me as if to say "Mom it will be alright."

When my Husbands horse died we began looking for a horse for him.

We eventually found a beautiful black and white Tabiano Paint Gelding (another wonderful horse but that`s another sad story)...Lil Joe became my Husbands horse and the horse we got for my Husband became mine because he use to love to go and was hurting my Husbands back.

Even though Lil Joe was ridden by my Husband now we were still good buddies and I knew I could go to him for comfort. He was a great listener and showed me how much he cared and loved me. Lil Joe was a great horse (but I`ve already said this but needs repeating)...

When me or my Husband rode him he was perky and liked to gig a little very peppy but he was such a gentle horse that we could put anyone on him that didn`t know how to ride and he would go slowly along and not be peppy with them. Horses can sense thing like this.

My Husband used him for cattle and he did great. We use to take the horses camping with us and they both loved to go on rides.

Through the years (many) Lil Joe was the picture of health very conditioned but one day after herding cattle he ate too much green grass and became oundered in his two front feet.

Over the years he became worse we could ride him but not hard and no more cattle herding. Years went by and his feet and legs got worse and worse. He would eat like a hog and drink he was just getting older. He developed Arthritis in his back legs and it was getting hard for him to walk. He would lay down and not be able to get up without our help.

The Vet (who was wonderful) came out sometimes twice a week and on the weekends to give him shots for pain and his Arthritis (sp?). He had regular visits.

Once a month from the farrier who had to put special shoes and pads on his front feet. We had retired him and now it was time for us to love him more and take special care of him...

The vets visits and the farrier visits continued for about a year but Lil Joe was getting tired. As he was walking in the pasture towards me I could tell my baby was in pain...he was still eating great and drinking but was in pain when he walked. I could tell he was in pain because the way he held his head low, the way he was walking and the look in his beautiful eyes as if to say to me "Mom I am in pain I hurt, it hurts to walk"

You can tell a lot about an animal by the way they walk how they hold their head and the look in their eyes...Some people miss these signs. The signs an animal is trying to tell them somthing...

We called his Vet and he immediately came out to see him. When he got here he looked at Lil Joe and said he`s in pain he`s having bad pain....He then told my Husband and I he needed to be put down because he was in such bad pain and was very Arthritic and it would only get worse he`d not get any better...

When he told me this I broke down and cried...how can I do this to him how could I let go and say good bye to my baby, the baby I got when he was 5 years old was now 38 and in bad pain.

The Vet explained to me what he would be doing with the two shots. One to relax him and help him go down and the other to help him cross over to Rainbow Bridge.

I was crying so hard and said I wanted to go be with him...the Vet said "Lindy you don`t wnat to do this and I sobbing said ok. It was quick this thing they do...or at least it seemed so...

The Vet came in gave me a hug and gave me two most precious things that made me cry even harder,  for you see he gave me a long lock of his Black and white mane and one of his special shoes.

I have both on display in my sun room with a picture of Lil Joe on the wall....

This was so very very hard for me to do...to let go of him but it`s something we had to do since I couldn`t see him in bad pain trying to walk. Getting down and not being able to get up...

I walked down where he was buried that day and many many days afterwards to talk to him and to tell him I loved him. I would sit there for hours crying and crying for my Lil Joe Bradley....

Time went on and the terrible pain in my heart got better it`s not completely gone but not as terribly bad...I still walk down to the lower pasture to his grave and say hi I love you Lil Joe Bradley....The fences are now down because I had to sell my other horse due to my illnesses and couldn`t ride anymore...yes the fences are down and the pastures feel so empty and void without them there...

As I walk in the pasture to go to the neighbors, take care of my Chickens or walk to the apple and plum trees I hear a click click click and think of Lil Joe, for you see he used to click when he walked around...

I get sad but then smile for I know he`s here with me..walking by my side...seeing if I`m ok...

Yes Lil Joe was a great horse one of a kind with a wonderful personality and I had him from age 5 to age 38...the oldest living horse on the Coast the Vet said...but now he`s in a place that is beautiful. The skys are the bluest of blues, Clouds in the sky, always beautiful and never storms and never gray dark skys and safe...yes...He`s waiting for me there this place we call Rainbow Bridge...he`s romping, bucking and running in. A new body like a colt with friends...

One day we will once more embrace...we will be happy again with no tears in this place we call Rainbow Bridge...what a wonderul day this will be...me and my baby Lil Joe Bradley the horse God gave me to make my life happier..the horse I loved so very much and the horse that loved me back...

Well this is the story...tribute...rememberence of Lil Joe Bradley I`ve left out somethings that were all wonderful between me and him.....

I love and miss you my Lil Joe Bradley! I`ll not say good bye I`ll just say "Until we meet again"

xoxoxo
Lindy
Frisbee Bradley aka Goobie's Mom